Hive ONE for July - Shonna's Star Block
Shonna would like her Hive to make her a Four Pointed Star block.
1) Cut 4 squares of a modern print (9” x 9” each).
2) Cut 8 rectangles of a solid fabric that contrasts with the print (4-5” x 10”).
3) Lay a piece of solid (right side to right side) on the square between the top left and bottom right corners. (You choose exactly where, everyone’s will be a little bit different.) Sew a ¼” seam on the solid. Cut ¼” from seam. Flip solid and iron. Trim block back to 9” x 9”.
(Having trouble visualizing this? Keep in mind paper piecing; when you flip the solid you need to make sure it will completely cover the top right corner of the square.)
4) Lay a second piece of solid fabric on the square, right sides together. One corner on the right side and one overlapping the solid color already sewed on. Sew a ¼” seam on the solid.
Cut ¼” from seam. Flip solid and iron. Trim block back to 9” x 9”.
5) Repeat for the other 3 squares. Flip the squares so that solids make a star in the center. The points will not all line up, no worries. Sew the top-left and top-right squares together. Sew the bottom-left and bottom-right squares together. Line up the middle seam and sew the top and bottom together.